This weeks events include; Animating the Gate, Redoing my business plan, and starting to build a robot.
Animating the Gate
So on this weeks weekend challenge I made the Gate room from Stargate SG-1. After I had written the blog post on it (here) I decided to try and animate the gate dialling. So, after a quick Google search, I found the gate address at Atlantis (which is an 8 symbol address instead of the usual 7). So I spent the better part of an afternoon making my gate dial the address which included; the centre ring rotating to each position at a constant speed through out the dialling, the top chevron opening and closing, and the other chevrons lighting up in the correct sequence.
The final step was to create the Kawoosh effect that happens when the wormhole is first established. I also had to find a way to make the puddle move in such a way that it looks like water. I had to switch out the modifier on the puddle with a similar one which allowed the distortion to be changed. I then created an animated loop for it so the distortion range does go too far. The Kawoosh was made using shape keys to bring the middle out to the front and to drag the rim inwards. Using a shape key for this made animating it that bit easier.
The dialling sequence takes about 38 seconds to complete which I believe to be close to the time it took on the TV show. I managed to get the render time down to around the 20 minute mark which is far better than the 1 hour mark I had over the weekend. Though it is a lot better, it is still too long for me to render out the complete animation as it would take around 13 days. Plus there is no story so it would be a little pointless to render it out.
Rewriting the Business Plan
On Tuesday I had an appointment with my new supervisor over at Business Gateway to go over my current business plan. The first point he made about my plan was that it didn't go into enough detail in some areas so I have that to go and fix. The other point that he made was that the template that I was using (putting it politely) wasn't very good. I find this ironic as I got it from the Business Gateways website. My supervisor decided it was best to give me a new template and to also give me a document to help projecting the costs for the first 2 years.
All in all I have to give the folks at Business Gateway credit. They have loads of useful information as well as links to other resources. I can't recommend them enough for anyone thinking of staring a business in the UK.
Building the Robot
So yesterday morning I started to build a robot starting with its face. Robots have always fascinated me but its something I have avoided doing because it can be a challenge to get one to look right. I have only done pat of the head so far as I have been trying to get it to look smooth as possible and I had difficulty creating textures for the eyes and mouth that looked good.
I have created several textures for the eyes and mouth which cover a range of emotions to help later on when I animate the character. The eyes and mouth are not just textures but are in fact little spheres in rows that act like LEDs on a board. The textures controls which of the lights are turned on and which are off which allows for easy animation for each expression.
I may end up doing a short tutorial on how to do what I call the LED effect if anyone is interested. I could be used in several situations, not just robots faces.
Hi, I'm Claude, head & creator of Adaptive Pixel. You might be wondering what brought you here and I'm here to tell you, it was a link. Here is where I will be posting what I'm currently doing and challenges I've done.
Click Here to get an extension so RSS works in Google Chrome