Hello and Welcome to this weeks Weekly Round-Up were I talk about this weeks events. This weeks events are returning to my old Star Trek model, a small tutorial on texture panelling, the creation of another Flower image, and creating the feet of my Robotic Character. I will also talk a little at the end about whats happening to me personally.
Tuesday I decided to bring out my old Starship model from the dusty corner of my old hard drive to dust off the cobwebs. Why? I maybe considering adding a little something extra to that weekend challenge animation I've just started working on. Plus its always nice to have a model that I can throw into a scene without having to fix a load of things.
The first and most important change made to the model was to import it into Cycles. It's what I use mostly these days so it made sence to bring it over from Blender Internal. What does this mean? Nicer lighting. Thats about it for the differences with this model in Cycles.
I also decided to add a hull texture to make it look like the ship is made of hundreds of little panels. I didn't so this when first made this model 5 years ago (thats right children, this was one of my original models I made (though most/all of the parts have been replaced)) because I didn't really know how to do it without creating a whole load of new faces and materials. I actually crashed the software when I first tried that back in 2009 and lost a load of work because of it.
This time I used UV maps. Lots and lots of UV maps. And a brick texture. Yup, it was that easy. You can see the node set-up for it below with a link to a tutorial on the subject. It just took about 4/5 hours to get the UV mapping right and thats not including the mess-up I had with the new shape key which brings me to the last change I made to the model itself.
See those things at the back of the nacelles that look like an armodilos back? Yeah, they move. It used to be a pain staking process to animate them as you had to mode them individually (there were 12 btw) from 1 position to another. Not now though.
Now its all done with one small itsy bitsy little control slider.
Hell I might even link it to the spinny part of the front of the nacelle. Got to love the wondrous world of rigging.
I spent an hour on this. Not joking. It was just an hour. I timed it.
I don't know why I made it. I started with the plant stems, aded the leaves and then stole the plant head from last weeks model and stuck it around the plant. I then altered one and stuck it in the middle.
I actually think it turned out quite nicely. Not too bad for an hours work.
I fianlly made some feet for my Robot. That means that all major appendages are now there!
Found a problem though when I tried to amek a funny pose. 1st: its not rigged yet so it was a pain to try and do. But more importantly I need to add another rotation joint ot the arms because they can't move side to side very well at the moment.
Once I've done that, I'll add in a few more things like wires, scratches, maybe a fuse. I'll then rig it. Got a feeling its going to be a pain to rig especially at the shoulder joint.
Check back later to see the progress!
So this week I matched my personal best at Deadlifting. That may not sound impressive but I stopped Deadlifting for a long time.
My personal best is 125Kgs btw (which is 275 pounds).
Heres the kicker, I can't go above it. Seriously, I can't put any more plates on the bar, theres no room (not that I have any plates left to put on).
I've also nearly finished watching Scrubs again. Its funny how some things can still be funny or sad even though you've seen it a few times.
And finally, I believe I have also become addicted to Pringles at the moment. There just so crunchy and delicious.
Hi, I'm Claude, head & creator of Adaptive Pixel. You might be wondering what brought you here and I'm here to tell you, it was a link. Here is where I will be posting what I'm currently doing and challenges I've done.
Click Here to get an extension so RSS works in Google Chrome