This weeks weekend challenge was to recreate the gate room (also called the embarkation room) from the TV show Stargate SG-1. This involved creating a Stargate (milky-way model), the "puddle", gate ramp, and the surrounding room.
Work started Saturday morning with creating the Stargate first. I had created a Stargate before back in 2010 when I had first started to learn 3D modelling but it was the wrong size, the details were wrong, and the mesh as a mess as it relied on a Subsurface modifier. The gate I created this time is as close to the one that appeared in the TV show as possible given the time constraint.
Unlike the gate I created back in 2010, this one was built using linked sections to make adding in the details much faster. This gate also has the 39 symbols on the inner ring which is something I missed last time.
The most difficult part of this challenge was to create the unstabel vortex (the Puddle (the big blue wet thing)). At first I tried to use the Ocean Simulator in Blender to create the ripple effect but I found that waves were always to big in one part or another. It also raised the polygon count to extreme levels to get a good looking puddle.
I eventually switched the a much simpler displacement modifier which gave a much nicer effect at a much lower polygon count. The glow of the puddle was created using a mixture of glass and emission nodes aligned together using a texture I made to focus the lighter parts in the middle. It took several textures to get a desirable glow as the others either had too much light in the middle, or the fade off had to sharp a fall off.
On Sunday I worked on creating everything else in the gate room which includes the ramp, the holder for the gate, the walls of the room, various cables and lights around the room. I even made part of the launch tunnel that is above the gate from the days when the base held missiles.
The main problem with this challenge was the time I took to complete a single render. Due to the amount of polygons in the scene, I couldn't use the GPU so I had to use the much slower CPU for rendering. Each frame took about a hour to render out so it was time consuming to do test renders.
Regardless, I kinda like the outcome of this weeks weekend challenge. Tune in next week to see what I make.
Hi, I'm Claude, head & creator of Adaptive Pixel. You might be wondering what brought you here and I'm here to tell you, it was a link. Here is where I will be posting what I'm currently doing and challenges I've done.
Click Here to get an extension so RSS works in Google Chrome